I use SoundCloud on average 5 hours a day and I would love to see some or all of these features implemented.
- Friend live listening feed: A version of Spotify’s activity feature. Currently I only know what my friends have liked or reblogged. I can see that they’ve played a sound but it’s covered in Facebook. It’s exactly what Mark meant when he said when they features the content of your friends bigger than the just the names and actions. I want to see what my friends are listening to.
- Redesign Groups: Groups have yet to get the facelift the rest of SoundCloud got earlier this year. Only Pro users are allowed to create groups. I’m part of two groups of Facebook just for sharing music (mostly links from YouTube & SoundCloud). This behavior belongs on SoundCloud.
- Listen later: Save sounds to be played for a later date. These could be stored in a ‘Queue’ or ‘Watch Later’ similar to YouTube.
- Better commenting: Comments are pretty useless as they exist. For music 90% of comments are something like “Dope” “Sick trackkk” or “Track ID anyone?”You should be able to search comments and filter them by user name and time within the ‘sound.’ A lot of this is already possible with their API.
- Differentiate Liveblog & Like: During the redesign, SoundCloud didn’t explain the difference between a Like and Reblog. Later on they made it so that only a reblog shows up in your feed while a Like is just for your reference. These features still need better defining. Rename ‘Likes’ as bookmarks.
- Track identification: Make identifying and linking tracks within mixes easy. Currently, listeners ask for Track IDs and other users post responses. A lot of DJs hate this because its breaks a part the form of the set. It’s impossible to sort through comments to find these track IDs. You could even gamify this behavior.
SoundCloud is built for creators. Creators are also their source of revenue. Listener features are thus given a backseat to the priorities of creators. However, creators would benefit from better listener features because increased usability means more plays and time spent on site.